Discussion Questions – Dry as Rain
1. Just when Eric has taken what could have been the final step away from his marriage, he gets a phone call telling him that his wife has been in an accident. How does that help keep him from doing any further damage to his marriage?
2. Have you ever been in a situation where a seemingly random event made you stop and think twice about something you were doing or were about to do? How do you explain such happenings?
3. Eric decides to let Kyra remain in ignorance about the state of their marriage, and specifically about what he has done wrong. Do you think that was the right decision? Why or why not? What would you have done in his position?
4. Did you like Eric at the beginning of the book? Why or why not? In what ways could you relate to him? How did your opinion of him change as the story went on?
5. Eric and Kyra both try to boil down the problems in their marriage to one or two specific things the other spouse did—or failed to do. How have you been guilty of that same approach in some of your relationships? What are some practical ways we can try to step back and see the bigger picture when we are tempted to oversimplify things?
6. Eric is disdainful of his friend Larry’s Christian faith. Did you feel Larry was obnoxious or off base in the things he said? Why or why not? In what ways was Larry a true friend to Eric?
7. Some of Eric’s issues stem from the loss of his father at an early age. What losses have you experienced that have affected you in profound ways? What are some ways you can work on forgiving (if necessary) and otherwise letting go of these things?
8. In some ways, Eric has never felt worthy of Kyra’s love. How does that feeling contribute to some of his poor choices? How can we avoid making the same mistakes?
9. Everyone close to Eric advises him to tell Kyra the truth. But he resists that advice for a long time. Why is it so hard for him to be honest with her? What is he afraid of?
10. Can you think of a time in your own life when you were afraid to be honest with someone? How did that situation eventually work out?